[linux-uvc-devel] 0bda:5722 Realtek Semiconductor (Front camera in some new vaios) not working (blank image)
Miguel Rodrí­guez Pérez
2013-09-05 14:55:41 UTC
As the subject says, this hardware doesn't work properly under linux.

When tested with google hangouts and vlc, the device just shows a
black image. The rear camera works fine with the same tests.

However, if the debug parameter is enabled, some frames are shown,
although most lack the bottom part of the frame.

I attach the lsusb description of this device and the dmesg output
when the trace parameters is set to 0xffff.

Hope this helps.
Miguel Rodrí­guez Pérez
2013-09-05 15:31:11 UTC
After some more testings the camera does work, but only after manually
setting the resolution to 176x144. Shouldn't apps detect the maximum
possible resolution by themselves or is this an error in the info
provided by the driver?

Anyway I could test?
Hope this helps.
m***@gmail.com
2013-09-05 16:08:25 UTC
After some more testing, I found that: all resolutions are supported
in MJPEG image format, but only 176x144 in YUYV, however, the command
v4l2-ctl --list-formats-ext shows
ioctl: VIDIOC_ENUM_FMT
Index : 0
Type : Video Capture
Pixel Format: 'YUYV'
Name : YUV 4:2:2 (YUYV)
Size: Discrete 640x480
Interval: Discrete 0.033 s (30.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.067 s (15.000 fps)
Size: Discrete 160x120
Interval: Discrete 0.033 s (30.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.067 s (15.000 fps)
Size: Discrete 176x144
Interval: Discrete 0.033 s (30.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.067 s (15.000 fps)
Size: Discrete 320x240
Interval: Discrete 0.033 s (30.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.067 s (15.000 fps)
Size: Discrete 1280x720
Interval: Discrete 0.100 s (10.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.200 s (5.000 fps)
Size: Discrete 1280x800
Interval: Discrete 0.100 s (10.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.200 s (5.000 fps)
Size: Discrete 1280x1024
Interval: Discrete 0.200 s (5.000 fps)
Size: Discrete 1920x1080
Interval: Discrete 0.200 s (5.000 fps)

Index : 1
Type : Video Capture
Pixel Format: 'MJPG' (compressed)
Name : MJPEG
[...]

Obviously, apps believe that information, but fail.